Saturday at 2 PM in the Kids’ Games
Start scouting your garden patch for your most aerodynamic
Your zucchini racer only needs to
have wheels—it will race down a track aided by gravity—but creativity is encouraged in making your entry. Souped-up squash are welcome for this garden Grand-Prix, but please only non-motorized
vehicles. “Drivers” can be included or cars can be driverless. An online search of “zucchini racing” will provide some ideas.
Where do I keep my racer
while I’m enjoying the fair?
You can bring it to the race location where it can
be stored while you enjoy the fair.
Don’t see any promising looking
Don’t have a
We will have some spare squash and materials on hand for last-minute entries starting at 1:00 PM.
Have extra zucchini
in your garden?
We will take donations for on-the-spot car creators—the bigger the better!
Winners will be awarded in each of the following categories:
Child 6-9 years, Youth 10-13 years,
Teen 14-18 years, Adult 19 and up.
- All cars must start by gravity from a standstill, at the starting point.
- No pushing is allowed.
- To finish, the car whose nose is the first to cross the finish line is the winner.
- The race official(s) will decide the winner, and if the result is too close to call, a second race will be run.
- If any car leaves the track, the race can be restarted. If the same car leaves again, the car is eliminated.
Zucchini Racer Specifications:
- Race car must be made of a real zucchini and must be built by the racer.
- Vehicles should be constructed using a whole, freshly carved zucchini. (Moldy cars will probably fall apart!)
- Absolutely no motors, rubber bands or mechanical aids. All power will be supplied by the ramp (gravity).
- Wheel axles must be incorporated into the zucchini itself. It’s not acceptable to just attach a zucchini to an existing “vehicle” that
rolls. This means no attaching a zucchini to a skateboard, roller skate, toy car, etc.
- Wheels can be any type – wooden, metal, vegetable, or plastic.
- The zucchini racer must be sturdy enough to compete in multiple races.
- Decorate and name your zucchini racer. Decorations adorning the zucchini may extend no more than 1 inch from the “front end” of the
- The entire zucchini racer may be no wider than 8 inches, including wheels and decorations.